Hennops Hiking Trail
In the heart of busy Gauteng, virtually on the doorstep of both Johannesburg and Pretoria, hikers can now experience one of the few unspoiled nature areas at Hennops Hiking Trail.
The Hennops hiking trail consists of two trails setting out from Hadeda Camp. At the beginning and end of both trails, the route meanders along the Hennops River before veering away into the surrounding mountains.
Two unique features on the trail are the river crossings – a suspension bridge and a cable car. There are interesting historical sites along the trail, amongst others an old field (veld) hospital used in the Anglo Boer war. Aspiring historians will enjoy seeing an underground cave where “Pruimpie” lived, traces of old settlements and the old dolomite mines and the ovens in which the rocks were heated to melt and extract the lime.
Apart from the 9 mammal species in the game camp, kudu thrives in this area and may be seen all over the farm. The indigenous tree along the river, the gorges and plateau areas makes this an outstanding area for bird life.
At times the trail feels so remote that one can hardly believe that both Johannesburg and Pretoria are less than 45 minutes away! The Hennops hiking trail will appeal to all hikers, even nature lovers who are not dedicated backpackers. Please note that there are no water points on the routes.
We have 3 Routes
Duration: 2 hours
Degree of difficulty: Easy - Average
A variety of game can be viewed on this trail namely Zebra, Gnu, Impala, Blesbok, Kudu & Zonkie
Duration: 4 – 5 hours
Degree of difficulty: Average – Difficult
Not recommended for children under 12 or unfit adults. Small game as well as Kudu and Eland can be viewed on this trail
Duration: 1 – 2 hours
Degree of difficulty: Easy – Average
This route offers parents the opportunity to introduce their children to hiking. It follows the same route as Krokodilberg to start but returns at no. 6 (Pruimpie se gat) to the cable car on the escape route”
How it works
- As a day visitor, you don’t need to book on weekends and public holidays. Parking and registration office are situated at Hadeda Camp
- Gates to Hadeda Camp open at 07h00 on Sat, Sun and Public Holidays.
Registration office hours: 07h00 – 14h00 (Upon registration you will receive a map and orientation)
- During the week (Mon – Fri) you can start at 08h30. Please call 082 825 9205 to book for the trail on normal weekdays(Non-Public Holiday).
- The cost is R60/adult and R30/children under 12 years. All fees are payable in cash – no card facilities available.
- This also gives you access to Hennops Picnic Spot where swimming pools and braai facilties are available.